Optimising Marketing Automation to deliver lasting business benefits
Read Time: 5 mins
Working with a global business information services company, we configured and deployed a Marketing Automation Platform (MAP) which was fully integrated with Salesforce CRM, a new website and eCommerce functionality. The platform was deployed across five global operating divisions simultaneously.
Our client is a global, market leading provider of business information services. Working across multiple industry sectors, they provide insight, information and consultancy services to specialist communities worldwide. Our client chose us to configure and deploy Eloqua, fully integrating with Salesforce CRM, a new website and eCommerce functionality.
- The platform was deployed across five global operating divisions within a 6-month period
- More than 100 marketers were fully enabled to use the platform, trained in campaign planning, design and execution
- Open and engage rates were significantly improved resulting in an increase of more than 30% in MQL generation
- A new end-to-end campaign management process was designed and implemented to ensure robust planning and resource allocation mapped to defined KPIs
Striving for more effective marketing programs, increased pipeline and improved customer experience
Our client wanted to rapidly gain competitive market advantage by enhancing their sales and marketing capabilities. Prior to engaging with us, they had an inconsistent approach to demand generation. Regional and divisional teams managed marketing programs locally, using a variety of systems and a high degree of manual lead capture and management. This led to difficulties in maintaining data quality, consistency of customer experience, measuring the impact of marketing and a disconnect between sales and marketing.
Our client needed a marketing automation platform that could integrate seamlessly with Salesforce.com, their web properties and eCommerce functionality, and deliver against the following objectives:
Enhance customer relationships
- Retaining and extending existing customer relationships whilst shifting to a subscription-based pricing model
- Nurturing relationships with prospects that are not yet ready to buy
Improve quality and conversion of leads
- Improve the quality of leads handed over to the sales organisation and enable prioritisation through introduction of a robust approach to lead scoring
Increase return on marketing investments
- Save time and money through process efficiencies
- Effectively measure outputs and outcomes to enable optimisation of marketing activity
New technology and processes delivering clear business objectives
To ensure the new technology and processes met clearly defined business objectives, we designed and ran a series of Discovery workshops. Through these workshops, we established the ‘As Is’ and ‘To Be’ state and captured a broad range of business requirements. These requirements were then translated to User Stories mapped to a specific owner and function.
The technical solution designed included:
- Data structure and model ensuring a consistent view of customers, prospects, accounts, leads and contacts across MAP and CRM
- Data rules within the marketing automation solution to ensure all individual information was managed and maintained in accordance to wider business privacy and compliance policies
- MAP fully integrated with existing and planned technologies, including CRM platform; web portal; eCommerce platform and the client’s product platforms
Alongside the technical solution, we worked with the sales and marketing operations teams to define an end-to-end lead management process. This included design of a lead scoring model that that enabled flexibility across different sectors.
We also worked alongside marketing teams to:
- Design and manage IP warming
- Analyse existing and in-flight campaigns
- Design and build ‘blueprint’ campaign templates for the core programs, including newsletters, welcome and nurture programs
To ensure the new technology and processes were adopted and delivered to the business objectives, we delivered a stakeholder engagement plan that included:
- Technical training for those involved in management and maintenance of new platform
- Leadership planning sessions that identified impact on marketing strategy and planning
- MAP awareness for all marketing and sales teams, focused on the fundamentals of campaign planning and design to optimise engagement
- Introduction and familiarisation with new processes to ensure change was driven across different stakeholder teams.
- Hands-on MAP training for those marketers who would be involved in building and executing campaigns on a day-to-day basis, to ensure competence in the platform and confidence to deliver using templates provided.
If you would like to talk to us about how to select, transition or optimise your marketing automation platform, we’d be delighted to hear from you.